Everything you wanted to know about abstract algebra, but were afraid to buy
Download Annual Edition
Note: The 2015 Annual Edition has been finalized. See the note about the various Editions and changes.
The current edition is for the 2015-16 academic year and has seen a major update to the source, with only minor modifications to the content from the previous year's edition. It also verifies and updates substantial material about Sage to version 6.8, available in various electronic forms (see Sage and AATA). The 2009 PDF version is very close to the original text, as first published by PWS Publishing Company in 1994. Since then, the copyright has transferred back to the author, making this open source version possible. (A full copy of the copyright transfer is distributed with the source code in the local subdirectory).
A print-on-demand version is the most affordable way to get a physical copy of the entire text. However, a PDF version optimized for print (two-sided, no color, etc.) is made available here for your convenience.
Note: A PDF version that includes all the supplemental material about Sage is available for download from the Sage and AATA page.
- Full Text, 2015 edition (PDF, 1.4 MB, August 12, 2015) [Printable]
- Full Text, 2014 edition (PDF, 1.8 MB, August 15, 2014)
- Full Text, 2013 edition (PDF, 1.9 MB, August 16, 2013)
- Full Text, 2012 edition (PDF, 2.4 MB, August 11, 2012)
- Full Text, 2011 edition (PDF, 2.4 MB, August 10, 2011)
- Full Text, 2010 edition (PDF, 2.2 MB, August 27, 2010)
- Full Text, 2009 edition (PDF, 1.5 MB, February 14, 2009)
Development Versions, Source Code with Revision Control
Periodically a current snapshot of the book as a PDF is available here. These are not archived, nor tagged in the source code repository. They simply accumulate fixes or additions made to annual official releases. If there is nothing listed here, then use the current Annual Edition.
The absolute most recent version is available as source code through a git repository at
github.com, the specific address is
Links below to recent source code archives come from github.com, so the
current version links below are the most up-to-date version.
If you would like to participate in contributing to the book, you will want to use git. Then you can fork the repository on GitHub, or create a local copy of the source code by doing the following in a terminal window:
- Set your working directory to a place where a new directory named aata can live.
- Issue the command: git clone https://github.com/twjudson/aata.git
Source Code Archives
- Current Development Version [.zip]
- Full Text, 2015 Annual Edition [.zip] [.tar.gz]
- Full Text, 2014 Annual Edition [.zip] [.tar.gz]
- Full Text, 2013 Annual Edition [.zip] [.tar.gz] [.tar.bz2]
- Full Text, 2012 Annual Edition [.zip] [.tar.gz] [.tar.bz2]
- Full Text, 2011 Annual Edition [.zip] [.tar.gz] [.tar.bz2]
- Full Text, 2010 Annual Edition [.zip] [.tar.gz] [.tar.bz2]
- Full Text, 2009 Annual Edition [.zip] [.tar.gz] [.tar.bz2]
- Original Source (~1994) [.zip] [.tar.gz] [.tar.bz2]
Cover from PWS Publishing Edition, 1994